01 September, 2010

In My Dreams

When I started blogging I had only in mind a medium in which to practice writing, something I hadn't done regularly since I was a teenager. My on-line presence was a chance to share my creativity, getting it out there in the hopes that someone else was inspired. 

About a year ago, however, things changed for me. Writing, creating, and thinking about those things became a compulsion. I attended the Okanagan Food and Wine Writers Workshop last September. And while I was blown away by the food and highly entertained by the company, the experience gave me a clarity and focus to my future. I was driven to find a way to change my life to make this my work, not designing energy efficiency programs. 

Today marks the first day of that life full-time. Over the past 8 months I've been building up a freelance writing base. Have you seen me at What's Up Family yet? Or at Simple Bites?  What about Babble? But it is time to do more, to be more. I've quit my job and my networking chops are already being tested. I will now call myself a freelance writer.

But not only this, I also be home with my girls. You could call me a work at home mom. (In all honesty, I hate that term.) In between bed time and morning, and during the naps that still occur you will find me writing, creating. When my girls are awake you will find us in the kitchen together, or around the table creating, reading, chatting, living.

To celebrate this momentous morning I turned to another of my dreams. Quite literally, this was a dream.  The more I've been on line the more I've found myself dreaming of people I've never met. It seems I'm some sort of unconscious stalker. The last dream I had involved Kim, her in-my-dreams-only rooftop garden in NYC, and these peach basil pancakes.

It seemed only fitting that I pull out everything from my dreams on a day when my dreams are becoming a living reality.

Peach Basil Pancakes
Makes 12 small/medium pancakes

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup corn flour or light corn meal
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp chopped basil
1 peach, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup butter
1 egg

1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Toss the basil and peaches in with the dry ingredients.
2. Stir together the wet ingredients. Mix the wet into the dry. Stir until just combined.  Let rest while your griddle or frying pan heats up on medium/low heat.
3. Pour the batter into the griddle 1/3 cup at a time. Cook until the bubbles on the surface form and start popping.  Flip and cook on the other side for another minute or so.
4. Serve with cherries or syrup of choice.

13 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Happy first day of new endeavor!! You and the family have many opportunities for so much fun and memory-making. Best to all of you.

elle said...

Hey, Freelance Writer! You are looking good. All the best to you.

H.Peter said...

Congratulation on your excellent decision.


How about freelance writing for Bloggers who don't know how to write?

Aimee @ Simple Bites said...

Congrats from one WAHM to another! Teasing....

I don't love that term, either. I was ALWAYS a work-at-home mom!

Excited for what the future holds for you.

Charmian @Christie's Corner said...

Congratulations. Enjoy the ride! I'm sure you and your kids will love your change in direction.

Isabelle said...

Congrats Cheryl! That's fantastic.

Jessica said...

Congratulations on a turning point in your life! I know your girls will be so happy that you're at home with them, and your happiness at what you're doing will mean a whole lot o' happiness going on! ;-D

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Lyndsay Wells said...

I really like your blog and have bookmarked it. I'm very intrigued by the flavour combinations you've used here and plan to try this recipe over the long weekend.

I'm a fellow Canadian foodie from Vancouver Island. Nice to meet you.

Jan @ Family BItes said...

I'm excited for you. What a great decision you've made...to follow your dreams!

Savannah, Acts of Sweetness Ambassador said...

Hi there!

This recipe is excellent (as well as the photos!) It looks so delicious. It would be wonderful if you shared this recipe (or any other of your posts) with us on the Redpath Sugar baking community facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/redpathsugar?ref=ts

I know that everyone would really appreciate it!
All the best,
Savannah

Kevin Kossowan said...

Good for you! I think you'll love it.

Unknown said...

Best of luck to you!

Tia said...

wow, what a turning point! best of luck :) from a Vancouver baking blogger