25 August, 2010

Blueberry Maple Ice Cream


Today I'm over at Simple Bites. It's all about taking a moment to just stop. No canning, no thinking ahead to apple pie now that the weather is turning, no worrying about Sunday dinner. Just stopping to take a look around and enjoy what we've got, right now, in front of us.

And right now I have blueberries. Plump BC blueberries are still all over the markets. My girls eat them by the handful. Me, on the other hand, I can be rather indifferent to blueberries. I enjoy them when added to other things or baked, but I'm not an out of hand girl when it comes to the orbs.

My favourite to enjoy blueberries is actually cooked down with a bit of maple syrup, to be served on pancakes, waffles, or yoghurt. I was making a batch of my blueberries when it occurred to me that it might work really well with ice cream. Not on ice cream, mind you, but in ice cream.

It's a good thing I am addicted to making my own ice cream because it means the canister for my ice cream maker is always in the deep freeze when not in use. And, I always keep cream in the house now. So this recipe came together in just a few minutes. And for dinner, we were licking our bowls clean.

Blueberry Maple Ice Cream
Makes 4 cups

2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 cups cream
2 tbsp cup maple wine/maple liqueur/creme de cassis.

1. Cook the blueberries in the maple syrup over medium heat until the berries just begin to pop - 3-4 minutes. Put in the fridge to cool, if you've got the time.
2. Blitz the berries in a blender, adding the cream and alcohol. Alternatively, mash the berries with a fork then combine with the cream and alcohol.
3. Churn in an ice cream maker and freeze until firm. Serve drizzled with maple syrup.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Besides the taste, I think one of my favourite blueberry attributes is the colour. From muffins to smoothies, everything gets that gorgeous purple/blue hue...and this ice cream is beyond beautiful!

Nice work; it looks devine.

Charmian @Christie's Corner said...

Like I need another excuse to haul out the ice cream maker...

Aimee @ Simple Bites said...

Gorgeous, Cheryl. Another way to encourage my kids to eat blueberries.

Jan @ Family Bites said...

The colour in this ice cream is incredible. Yay for more ice cream for dinner!

Hannah said...

This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing, I'm going to try with coconut milk, mmmm.